Author Topic: Epoxy bonding of plastic bushes  (Read 19904 times)

Offline BitLord83

Re: Epoxy bonding of plastic bushes
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 11:06:06 PM »
I think this should be a sticky. I think it could help a lot of people.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 07:19:36 PM »
You know mate I think your right so I shall do it right now

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline BitLord83

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 07:54:05 PM »
Thanks Jason! When I get my new air trekkers, this is exactly what I'm doing to them. Any extra tips for doing this to the new CZ/exo models?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 08:15:46 PM »
Yep
I have done 3 sets so far and sometime the bushes come out easy and sometimes they are in tight

The answer I came up with was either

Only do the loose ones as the tight ones are probably ok anyway

Or get a replacement set in case you snap the edges off one getting it out

The only other way is to use them till the rattle and when you replace the bushes glue them in then

As for doing them use enough Epoxy to do the job but not to much as to cover the bolts and everything else

When you glue them in put the bolts through and tighten them up with some washers to pull them into place

Apart from that it is an easy job if you take your time

Offline BitLord83

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 11:23:58 PM »
Ever helpful as usual Jason. Thank you. When I do it maybe I'll take some video and/or pictures so I can put together something for the new model. It might be redundant, but it won't hurt to have the documentation just in case.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 08:42:11 PM »
That would be fab mate we need people to do walkthroughs with pictures as they help so many people and save answering the same question many times

So do as many as you can  :Cbiggrin:

Offline Joe Legg

• What goes up! Must come down!
    • www.PushYourLimits.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2012, 02:00:12 PM »
I don't normally do mods to my stilts, but this one seemed to be worth while.

I know its a pain when the bearing go. that's when you stilts start to rattle and make squeeky noises.

I relished a long time ago that you want all the movements of your stilts to be free moving.

your probably all know this but the less friction you have on your stilt movement the more you will get out of your stilts as your not loosing energy.

GREAT MOD!!!

E-Mail: joe@pushyourlimits.co.uk
Latest Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3mB5yxMHjE

Offline BitLord83

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 04:31:16 AM »
So I just glued up my old M series stilts, bocked on them twice, and already a couple of the bushings are moving. I used a fairly good amount of epoxy, and the tubes going through the bushes can be pretty easily moved by hand.

The one thing that concerned me was the epoxy I got dried sort of hard, but like a hard rubber, not VERY hard as if it would withstand the pressure in the joints while jumping.

So here is the question: Should I use more glue, or different harder drying type glue that will stay more solid? Is there anything else I should do specifically? I'm going to glue my new Air-Trekkers up but I want it done right and not have to re-glue them every few sessions. Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 05:10:34 AM by BitLord83 »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 08:36:19 PM »
Two things about epoxy

You must get the mix near 50/50 so take some time to get the right amount of each

The second one is there are epoxys and epoxys

Araldite or locktite are sure to be good

Don't get me wrong some of the cheap epoxys are very good but some are very weak

Also they are not magic if your frames are worn so badly that the bushes flap around in them no amount of epoxy will help

I use the epoxy more as a filler to fill all the gaps and imperfections as it won't stick to the bearing material but will stop it wearing on the frames rather than the tubes

The tubes need to be a good fit but not to tight as they will bind in the bushes and twist them in the frame which makes them wear very quickly

I used to stick the tubes in a cordless drill and use some fine wet and dry to polish them until they are a nice fit

Offline BitLord83

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 05:44:40 AM »
Thanks for the timely reply as usual Jason.

Well, it sounds like I did everything right just about. Good quality epoxy (pretty sure, it was $5) , bock frame is in good shape, bushes were either new or nearly new.

The only two things I can think of where I might have gone wrong is not making the metals tubes slide easily enough in the bushings, and not de-greasing them enough. I just wiped the bushes and the frame with moist paper towels.

I do see what you mean about the epoxy being filler, and not necessarily keeping the bushing completely solid. I will make sure on my new CZ model stilts that the metal posts slide very easily inside the bushings. I will also get some locktite (can't get arildite in the states I don't think) since that stuff seems like it might be even better than what I got, and use plenty of it. I will also wipe down everything well with isopropyl alchohol and let it dry thoroughly to make sure everything is nice and clean.

We will see how it goes. My new springs are supposed to come Monday!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 05:47:39 AM by BitLord83 »

Offline BitLord83

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 02:51:44 AM »
My tutorial for gluing the bushings in the new CZ/Exo model stilts is here: http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=7280.0