Author Topic: Adjusting The Binding Strap Fitting  (Read 22229 times)

Offline carlgreen

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for backFLEEP!
Re: Adjusting The Binding Strap Fitting
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 01:02:10 PM »
John i think he means he wants to replace the plastic holders to metal ones, to hold the cuff bars in place as many people have this problem with the plastic not holding the metal tight enough.

Offline Raephen

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 12:05:22 AM »
Hi,

I wanted to use the second holes on the binding fittings, but I ran into a 'slight' problem: the screws / bolts appear to be stuck in the footplates.

I can remove the nutt without a problem, but when I then try to unscrew the screw, my screwdriver can't get it to budge and instead (without any effort, really) chews through the metal and effectively renders the screw head useless... With the screw still lodged into place.

So what should I do now? Is there an easy DIY way arround this or should I contact the lads and lasses over at pro-jump.co.uk?

Thanks,
Ralph
The Bouncing Dutchman

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 10:43:57 AM »
Unfortunate one this and I have also had problems with the metal parts, usually the allen (hex) sockets rounding off because they are weaker material than the tool I'm using.

This seems to be a similar thing. I cant clearly see the picture as the flash is spoiling the finer detail but if the screw head is no longer useable then it needs to be drilled out and replaced.

I would suggest contacting projump and see what they have to say. Perhaps try with a clearer picture with lots of natural light and no flash :)

Offline Raephen

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 11:09:37 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Locky. I'll take it up with projump.

Hmm... Drilling out the screw... I'm not a great DIY guy, but I'm guessing that would entail a drill and something to hold the foot plate in, like, say, a workbench? Well, a drill I have - I think that the hardened steel drill bits would do the trick, but nothing to hold the footplates. Where's MacGuiver when you need him, eh?   :Cwink:

And I think I know what you mean in regards to the allen sockets... I already noticed some distinct scuff marks while doing the many adjustments.
The Bouncing Dutchman

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 08:08:30 PM »
Hi Raephen

I have had this also and the way I got round it was to cut the strap off and then a good dose of penetrating oil and remove the screw with a pair of good pliers or better still a set of mole grips (they grip much better)

At first this may seem brutal but if you think about it the excess strap just hangs down when you use the inner hole and can safely be cut off if you don't intend to put it back to that position (it will fit most feet on the smaller setting anyway) and if you cut it as close to the screw as you can it can be rounded off to make it look nice

Once the old screw is out you can replace it with a good quality one and use a bit of locktite or copper grease and a locking nut to stop it freezing in again

Drilling the screw is a little difficult as you have to get the drill dead center and if you don't it damages the thread in the footplate I can do this by hand about 1 out of 10 times and that is with a very good set of drills
On a pillar drill with clamps I can do it 9 times out of 10 but not many people have a pillar drill

I have done this several times with success the only time it failed was when the screw had been cross threaded and I had to use a longer screw and a lock nut to secure it

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Raephen

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2012, 10:42:30 PM »
Thanks for those pointers, Jason.

Though I could honnestly say I'm all thumbs and have the general DIY knowhow of a common soldier ant, I think I can see how this would work. I don't have any penetrating oil. Would silicone or teflon lube do the job? Things like the nuts and screws and the copper grease (I had to look that one up, but I can see what that's useful for, aye) or things I'll deffinately need to go out and buy.

I've send a mail to Pro-jump, so I'll await their answer before cutting the strap, but I wonder: when I cut the strap, won't that plastic washer thing be in the way? Or would it be enough for my pliers to get a good grip?

Again: thanks for the tips, Jason. I'm not good with power tools and avoid those at any cost  :Cwink:

Neither did I relish in the thought of finding someone who could have helped me drill those pesky screws out.

I can see that your Ingenious award is well deserved and for that I salute you.
 :Cnotworthy:

Cheers!
Ralph
The Bouncing Dutchman

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 11:22:56 PM »
Yep I forgot about the plastic bit
I normally have a few of those in the spares box from my old stilts so just crush them with the mole grips
Think PJ have them and they shouldn't be too much
Penetrating oil is very unique and not much else will do the job but WD40 works as well and both are fairly cheap if you look around

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK: